Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sustainability Update

Hello there!

It's about halfway through the winter quarter, and I think it is time to reflect on my sustainability efforts. So without further adieu, here it is:

Recycling:
I have made a conscious effort to sort my recycle properly, and make sure I recycle everything that can be recycled. I have two bins set up in my room, one for recycle and one for garbage. When I take out my recycle, I then sort it out and put it into our SCC bins. So everything on the recycling front is going well!

Reusable Water Bottles:
After realizing how bad plastic water bottles are for the environment, I invested in a reusable water bottle that I liked very much. Then I lost it. So I reinvested in another. This one somehow also disappeared. As they say, "the third time's the charm", and so it is. I am on my third reusable water bottle this quarter, and this time I am not going to let it get away! Even though it required a $50 investment in hydration capital (water bottles), this effort has eliminated my plastic bottle waste, and will therefore be considered a success!

Reduced Fuel Consumption:
Because I work in Seattle on the weekends and go to school in Bellingham on the weekdays, driving has become a necessity. With that in mind, I couldn't eliminate my fuel consumption, but I have become much smarter about how and when I use fuel. I have begun making lists of errands and consolidated my trips as much as possible. This has saved quite a bit in terms of gasoline usage. Also, I now attempt to carpool as much as possible. I try to bring at least one person with me when I make the jaunt up and down I-5. Reducing fuel consumption has been achieved!

Turning off Lights/Electronics:
This has been a difficult thing to do, seeing as I live in a house with 3 other guys. Often I will find lights on in a room or a TV on when no one has been in the house for hours. This needs to stop. I have had many conversations with my roommates about turning these things off when not in use, and they are slowly beginning to show improvements. It's not on purpose, it is simply forgetting to turn them off. As for myself, I have been very diligent on turning unused electronics off. It will save on my energy bill and the environment. That's what I call a win-win!

Overall, I am surprised as to how much of an impact these simple actions can have. I feel better about my ecological footprint, it hasn't been very difficult and I am saving money in the process. Now that's what I call a win-win-win! That's all for now, stay tuned for more exciting sustainability efforts!

Cheers,

Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment